Sunday, February 17, 2013

As Luck Would Have It


I've had a bit of luck with my new computer this week.  It's only taken 3 months of off and on attempts to get a couple of programs to play nice together.  I've corresponded with the software manufacturer.  I've consulted my household computer guru.  I finally decided to take drastic measures.  I started over, undoing all my previous work. I kept a log of every thing I did and recorded it's effect on the software.  I'm three days into this painful process now and everything is still working well.  At least everything that I've managed to reinstall and reconfigure.

I got this little message in my email inbox a couple of days ago.

AN IRISH FRIENDSHIP WISH

May there always be work for your hands to do;
May your purse always hold a coin or two;
 
May the sun always shine on your windowpane;
May a rainbow be certain to follow each rain;
 
May the hand of a friend always be near you;
 
May God fill your heart with gladness to cheer you.

 But - you HAVE to send this within 1 hour 
 From when you open it!
 Now...............Make A wish!!!!!!

Do you ever get email messages like this?  It's  a sweet sentiment right up until the bit of  extortion at the end.  Really?  I need to spam my friends in order to have all these blessings?  I don't think so.

I get messages like this from time to time.  Some promise free meals or computers or some other act of unexpected generosity from some mega-corporation or in this case, Almighty God Himself.  What good luck, right?  Somebody please send me a list of the recipients of the gifts these emails promise.  I'd like to see it.

What does it mean to be lucky or to have good luck?  My definition of luck is being prepared when the right opportunity comes along. Luck doesn't just happen.  You have a hand in creating your luck.

I have a friend who has a knack for meeting incredibly interesting people.  You could call it luck but I think it has more to do with his being willing to talk to strangers and ability to put them at their ease.  It's a gift but he's worked to develop that gift.

I've known people who had a knack for bad luck as well.  Does bad luck find them or do they put themselves in situations that have a good chance of turning out badly?

It takes a lot of hard work to make good luck happen. A positive attitude is likely helpful in the pursuit of the leprechaun's gold. 

Get out there and make some good luck for yourself this week.  May the Irish blessing follow your efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment