Sunday, May 26, 2013

Every Day Matters


I just took a look back at my original list of 6 goals from my first blog post.  I've accomplished quite a bit. I've still got more work to do.

First, a quick progress report.  My weight has stabilized at 119 plus or minus a pound or two. That puts me right in the middle of the average healthy weight range for a woman of my stature. Both my body mass index and my body fat percentages are now within healthy ranges. I have reached numbers I can live with. I'm more fit than I have been in many, many years. I have a healthier diet than I was eating a year ago. I'm still not completely happy with what I see in the mirror but it will take more time to make further changes.

I've got an understanding of the rudiments of swimming. I need to find more time to practice my pitifully elementary skills. I've had to set aside the piano for now. The computer I use to do my genealogy research has been out of order for quite some time, so that's been on hold. It's working now and I'm ready to hit the research again. I've been working on spiritual growth but I really should put more effort in there. Can you ever really do to much work on your spiritual growth?

A great deal of my time and energy goes into work with activities my two youngest sons are involved in. I'm not one to sit by idly and watch them in their activities when it's obvious there's a need for an adult volunteer. And, well, to be an effective volunteer, sometimes you need some training. When someone gives you the training you need, often at no cost, you really do feel obligated to give more of yourself. It's quite a cycle in which I've gotten myself. Sometimes I question my sanity and inability to say, "NO." Other times I wouldn't want to do anything differently.

Lately, we've been preparing for robotics and shooting sports team competitions. Both are time consuming. The robotics is a multi-skill competition involving learning audio visual skills, public speaking, leadership, problem solving, basic computer programming and basic robot design. Shooting sports requires practice, practice and more practice to develop the skill, confidence and muscle memory to perform consistently well. I enjoy watching, not just my boys, but all the clubs' youth progress as they learn and develop their skills.

Today, one of our speakers at church said that it's important that we live our values every day, not just on Sunday. It's a simple statement but it's true. The things that are really important to us are the ones we emphasize every day. I've worked hard to treat my body as the gift from God that it is and return it to health. I've been blessed for that effort and I'm more than happy to share what I've learned with others. I find myself more willing to stretch myself with new challenges. I'll be paying more attention to the values I express through my actions and words because every day matters and I don't want to waste a single, precious one.

No comments:

Post a Comment