It's been a back-up-and-punt kind of week. You know the kind of week I'm talking about. You get things running smoothly and then something happens that throws the whole plan off. It's not typically something over which you have control. It's your attitude and response that makes the big difference if the final outcome. This week there have been several events happen that required me and our family to take a step back and make a new plan.
First, one of my children got sick. It wasn't just a case of sniffles. All of a sudden he looked like he'd been awake for 2 days straight. Within 24 hours he had a temperature of 105 degrees and was sitting in a tub of cool water. Ah, the contingency plans. What do I need to do if the fever doesn't break? Where should I go and how soon to I make that decision? With basic treatment of symptoms and observation he was better within 48 hours, but that was 48 hours put on hold. I'm better prepared for the next time someone's ill.
Then there were a couple of situations that came up with extended family members that were upsetting. These weren't situations I could personally go and fix. What I could do is offer comfort and support. Offering a hug, a prayer and a listening ear from a distance feels a little hollow.
Finally, plans for the end of the week were completely upended when I offered to help support one of our local organizations teach a class three hours away. I had about 20 hours to study for the presentation, pack up and get moving. It worked out that it allowed me to help support a family member in person.
Over all, it's been a positive week. Sure there have been setbacks but there have been positive opportunities that have come as a result.
The news this has been filled with news about hurricane Sandy as it slowly drenched the east coast from the Carolinas to Maine. It's been a tremendous setback for the people of Massachusetts, New Jersey and New York. It's been awe inspiring to watch. It's been like watching a disaster in slow motion in a movie knowing what the outcome is bound to be. This storm converged with another cold weather system on a full moon during a high tide over land that is at or barely above sea level. It's been awful for people in a huge area. If they didn't have the flood of the century, they had 24 or more hours of hurricane force winds. Many people had both. Over in the Appalachians there was snow from the storm. it wasn't just a little, pleasant dusting, there was a healthy 2-4 feet of snow.
The really sad and disturbing thing is that many, many people were extremely ill prepared for the situation. It's not the government's fault. There was over a week's worth of warnings and advisories. They were hard to miss unless you didn't hear a radio, see a television, see a newspaper or listen to anyone talking about the news. I've heard recordings of emergency calls with people begging for the most basic needs. What went wrong? Did they miss the news? Did they think the warnings were overblown media hype? Are they incapable of making emergency preparations? Are they without a support system of family or friends? The recovery is barely beginning and the same area is expecting another storm system to come through in a few days. I feel for those folks. I am willing to help but I believe in personal responsibility as well. It's time to reassess my own emergency plans and preparations and to learn from the mistakes and successes of others.
We're in the midst of the final days of a presidential election campaign. The candidates have had to adjust their campaign schedules because of the extreme weather. They even did the unheard of and suspended their campaigns for a day. The sitting president went into leadership mode and made sure he looked calm and presidential while his emergency management programs worked furiously behind the screens. The prominent opponent organized truck loads of necessary supplies to sent into the affected areas. It was a presidential campaign truce for a day. They had to step back and adjust their carefully laid plans. There were more important needs that demanded immediate action.
This coming Tuesday is Election Day. I've listened to people talk about this election for two years. They supported one candidate or another. Some lost their favorites early in the Primary campaign process. Some people simply re-evaluated the remaining candidates and chose a new best choice. Others have decided to forgo supporting any candidate if their favorite was eliminated. These are the people who I don't understand.
Voting for our leadership is a privilege. Let me say that again. voting for our leadership is a privilege. If we do not fulfill our responsibility as adults in a free nation, we will find our privileges being eroded and eliminated including the right to vote. An apathetic citizenry is one of the historic causes of the collapse of the great civilizations throughout history.
I plan to vote Tuesday. I will carefully consider my choices. I will stand in line. I will show an ID. I will do whatever it takes to be there. Will you?
No comments:
Post a Comment