I've tried to learn to juggle a few times. Let me correct that, I've played with learning to juggle. One ball is no problem. Two are manageable. Three become more complicated, requiring more concentration and skill than I naturally have. Taking on that fourth ball is out of the question. I end up with a confused explosion of balls going in every direction.
I'm still working my plan and the juggling is getting complex. I'm exercising and keeping an eagle's eye on my diet. True couch potato cheat days are not a luxury I will allow myself at this point in my journey to a stronger, healthier me. I'm too far from my goal to feel over-confident and close enough that I can visualize not only my year end goal but my ultimate goal as well.
My piano and I are getting reacquainted again. I've been entertaining my awakening children with the pitiful early morning pecking and plunking beginner. I really should take the pillows off their beds before I start. I've found them with heads buried under layers of pillows more than once. I've not been as consistent as I'd like and I'm not quite back up to the level I was 8 month ago. Progress is being made and I'm content with that. More practice in juggling that piano ball is in order.
Now, it's becoming critical that I add another of my goals into the mix. I've got genealogy research to do. There's that 72 page book with handwritten additions and corrections that needs tending. I need deadlines. I find I can focus on a project when it's got to be done by a particular date instead of sometime-when-I-get-around-to-it.
I found my dad sawing an old broom handle in to little disks one day. He was making a batch of "Round-To-Its." He was a supervisor for his section of the factory where he worked. He kept a few of these little Round-To-Its in his pocket to hand out. There was no excuse for not getting a job done. He made sure that if someone needed a Round-To-It, they got one. I think I need one of my dad's Round-To-Its.
I've put off this particular project because I know it can be all-consuming. As I get deeper in my research with a good lead, I forget about eating or sleeping. Hours can pass unnoticed. Just one more place to look. It'll only take a few minutes and then I'll quit. That's the logic that takes over when I get a good lead. Who knows if I'll find that thread of links and documentation again?
Genealogy research is never done. People die, are born, get married... families don't just stay the same. My research of last spring was obsolete within days of my printing it. It's daunting. How am I going to juggle four balls? My best idea is to take advantage of my previous practice. I've been working on health and fitness goals for several weeks now. It's becoming second nature. I'm seeing success and I'm reasonably comfortable with my progress. I can cluster diet and exercise into one ball toss. That leaves me with just three again, but oh, man, that third ball is going to take some concentration. I need to set aside a particular time each day or a particular day each week to complete this task.
It's time to redouble my efforts and keep promises I've made to my family. Focus. Concentration. A goal. A deadline. Got it. Wish me luck.
No comments:
Post a Comment