My life is about to change. In all honesty, you can say that every single day you wake up, but, my life is about to change in a different kind of way. I've made the decision to have hip replacement surgery. It's been an option for me for at least a year, probably longer. I was just too stubborn to go to the doctor to find out.
All the work I've done over the past several months has been in preparation for this. I've researched and read. I've worked hard to lose weight. I've worked hard to change my diet. I've worked to replace bad habits with good ones. I've poured myself into service opportunities and worked to develop a more positive attitude. I've tried to find something good and positive in the events of each day. I've worked hard to prepare myself physically and mentally.
I delayed going back to see a doctor until circumstances made it clear that it was time. A few weeks ago I tried to do an easy hike with my older Cub Scouts. I couldn't finish it. I had to double back and let them go ahead with other leaders. I didn't even attempt a much shorter hike just a couple of weeks ago because I knew I would slow them down too much. This past Friday night, I needed to be able to run to check on someone who'd had a wreck in front of our neighbor's house. I don't know if you can imagine the frustration I felt when I realized I couldn't run even if someone's life depended on it. That is my absolute final confirmation that it's time to do something.
I have a surgery date for later this month. I know enough to know there can be delays so I'll not post the date here. I'm nervous, anxious and excited all at once. I've done the things I should do to prepare. Now, I've got to learn to have faith and to trust God and my surgeon. Those may be the hardest lessons of all.
Tommie I read all your posts and have been inspired by your commitments to get healthy and keep commitments. I hope the hip surgery will go well and allow you more freedom and ability not only to serve others, which you do so well, but to enjoy life.
ReplyDeleteI think of you often,
Jeanne