Sunday, July 28, 2013

Family Tree


Princes of the Universe
Queen : Theme song for the Highlander movie partial lyrics
 
Here we are, born to be kings,
We're the princes of the universe.

Here we belong, fighting to survive
In a world with the darkest powers.

And here we are, we're the princes of the universe
Here we belong, fighting for survival
We've come to be the rulers of your world.

I am immortal, I have inside me blood of kings.
I have no rival, no man can be my equal
Take me to the future of your world.

Born to be kings, princes of the universe
Fighting and free, got your world in my hand
I'm here for your love and I'll make my stand
We were born to be princes of the universe....

I like this song.  I like the movies. Well, I like most of them.  One gives me nightmares.  I liked the TV series.
 
I think of this song sometimes when I'm thinking about my ancestors.  I've been amazed and humbled as I've learned about the men and women from whom I'm descended. They're a mixed lot of folks. Rich and poor. Common and, if the tree is correct, royal. There are family scandals and national heroes. It's the women who amaze me most. Many were living out in the countryside, wives of farmers. Some buried more children than they raised to adulthood. Some, like my grandmother, died young leaving behind a house full of children. Some, like my great-grandmother, were widowed for many, many years. They stepped up the challenge they were given and earned love and respect that will be remembered for generations.  
 
I am a daughter of men of honor, who sought truth and were willing to die for their beliefs. I can claim farmers, common soldiers, generals, preachers, and kings among my patriarchs.
 
I am a daughter of women of virtue, who lived their lives well in the face of adversity. They were women with backbones of steel and hearts filled with love for their families. They were resourceful in fulfilling their responsibilities.
 
I have a responsibility to these, my ancestors, to embody their most positive qualities and instill those qualities in my own children.

Most of all, I am a daughter of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment