Sunday, November 3, 2013

Stuck in a Rut


Sometimes I get a bright idea to do some quick little job by myself instead of asking for help. This past June I needed to pick up some wheat straw to mulch my garden. It was a simple task. It would give me a chance to see if I could use our manual transmission truck to run a longer errand.  I'd begun to have problems being able to use my left leg to depress the clutch enough to change gears. Holding the clutch in a stop lights was becoming very painful some days.

I climbed into the truck and scooted across town to the co-op for some bales of straw. I hadn't gotten far before I was sure a longer drive was out of the question. This was just going to have to be a quick errand. I got to the co-op and back without incident. I decided to drive through the yard to the garden to dump the bales out of the truck beside the garden.  I'd walked around to check to see if the ground was firm.  It had rained a few days earlier but everything seemed o.k.
 
Well, I didn't allow for the fact that the truck would have to pass further from the end of the house than I walked. Just a few feet over from where I walked, the ground was so soft that you sank in a bit as you walked. I didn't know that. You can imagine what might happen to a truck weighing a several thousand pounds. The truck bogged down 30 feet from the garden.  Nothing I could do would make it move forward or backward. It's a two-wheel drive truck so I couldn't get the extra traction I needed. I was well and thoroughly stuck.  Some days, you just have to walk away and not look back. Our truck sat there for a couple of days until a friend pulled the truck out of the rut with his Jeep. What can I say? The right tool made the job look easy.

I need a mental Jeep. I'm stuck in some sort of sticky, muddy, mental muck. There's plenty of things I need to do but few I'm really motivated to do right now. I need a tow rope and a tug to get me past this so I can get back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment