We lived less than 10 minutes from my elementary school. It was a red brick and concrete block building. The interior walls were painted with what I was sure was government surplus paint. I remember a gloss green that screamed army surplus. There was a huge lilac bush by the tall front steps. I guess it was tucked in and protected from the summer heat. It was the only lilac I remember seeing as a child and the largest I've ever seen. The school had a softball field, a large playground and an open field we could use to work off pent up energy.
The 10 minute trip took 30-60 minutes by school bus. One hundred eighty days of the exact same route twice a day can become boring. Sometimes I would read or work on homework. When I was able to get a window seat I'd often give myself a personal challenge. I'd look to see if I could find something new along the route. It required close observation of everyday places, things and, sometimes, people. A freshly painted mailbox, a new car, a dog I'd never seen, or a new lawn ornament all scored a successful day's hunt.
I've tried to continue the challenge as I've grown. It's so easy to just pass through the day without appreciating the little marvels and surprises that are there waiting to be discovered. A couple of weeks ago it was the most amazing little maple leaf lying on a sidewalk. Most trees hadn't started getting their fall color but this maple tree was just beginning to turn and drop it's leaves. This leaf had bright green veins with colors graduating reds and near purple at the edges. It was a work of art.
What a shame it would have been if I'd just passed that little wonder by without taking a minute to appreciate it. We've been gifted with the most amazing world. Even with our carelessness, we've not blotted out the beauty. We just need to slow down, open our eyes and expect to be amazed.
No comments:
Post a Comment