I just saw a link on Facebook that caught my eye. A photographer, Jaime Moore, was looking for ideas for creative ways to photograph her young daughter. As she searched for inspiration, she found many resources for dressing up her daughter as a Disney princess. Now I'm sure there were plenty of sweet ideas and Disney princesses each have redeeming qualities. Those qualities, however, tend to be overshadowed by the marketing of princess related merchandise. It ends up being more about creating an image than celebrating the quality of the character.
Ms. Moore was looking for something with a bit more substance. She hit upon the idea of dressing her daughter us as real life, amazing women. She chose Coco Channel, Amelia Earhart, Susan B. Anthony, Helen Keller and Jane Goodall. These are real women with real strengths and real challenges. The photographs she produced were beautiful and timeless.
See what you think of them. They can be found at: http://www.upworthy.com/see-the-5-kick-ass-women-this-mom-dressed-her-daughter-as-instead-of-a-disney-princess?c=ufb1
Several years ago, I became acquainted with the story of a woman who grew up not too far from where Helen Keller was born in north Alabama. Her name was Te-lah-ney, one of the last members of the Yuchi tribe. Her story; recounted by her great, great grandson, Tom Hendrix; was amazing. Mr. Hendrix is absolutely mesmerizing as he speaks. There are far too few story tellers like him around.
I read his book, If the Legends Fade, that is a compilation of Te-lah-ney's journal. Her story of being orphaned by a group of thugs and fur traders and then being sent away to the Indian Territories in Oklahoma is heartbreaking. Her love of her tribal home and her family's memory gave her the strength to find her way back alone.
I organized a homeschool field trip with several other families. We called it The Extraordinary Women of North Alabama Field Trip. First, we visited Mr. Hendrix and experienced the sacred site he has built in memory of his ancestors. Afterward, we went to Ivy Green, Helen Keller's home. I can't really explain it except to say that it was an uplifting experience. These two women had both overcome tremendous adversity. They both left amazing legacies for their families and deep roots in the Alabama soil.
Ms. Moore was looking for something with a bit more substance. She hit upon the idea of dressing her daughter us as real life, amazing women. She chose Coco Channel, Amelia Earhart, Susan B. Anthony, Helen Keller and Jane Goodall. These are real women with real strengths and real challenges. The photographs she produced were beautiful and timeless.
See what you think of them. They can be found at: http://www.upworthy.com/see-the-5-kick-ass-women-this-mom-dressed-her-daughter-as-instead-of-a-disney-princess?c=ufb1
Several years ago, I became acquainted with the story of a woman who grew up not too far from where Helen Keller was born in north Alabama. Her name was Te-lah-ney, one of the last members of the Yuchi tribe. Her story; recounted by her great, great grandson, Tom Hendrix; was amazing. Mr. Hendrix is absolutely mesmerizing as he speaks. There are far too few story tellers like him around.
I read his book, If the Legends Fade, that is a compilation of Te-lah-ney's journal. Her story of being orphaned by a group of thugs and fur traders and then being sent away to the Indian Territories in Oklahoma is heartbreaking. Her love of her tribal home and her family's memory gave her the strength to find her way back alone.
I organized a homeschool field trip with several other families. We called it The Extraordinary Women of North Alabama Field Trip. First, we visited Mr. Hendrix and experienced the sacred site he has built in memory of his ancestors. Afterward, we went to Ivy Green, Helen Keller's home. I can't really explain it except to say that it was an uplifting experience. These two women had both overcome tremendous adversity. They both left amazing legacies for their families and deep roots in the Alabama soil.
Sometimes, when I'm a little down or discouraged, I remember that trip. Those women are the kind of role models I'd prefer for my own daughter.
For more information about Te-lah-ney and Mr. Hendrix see: http://ifthelegendsfade.com/
No comments:
Post a Comment