Have you ever noticed how people seem to get a case of almost-itis as they get near to reaching their goals? Ask a local Scoutmaster how many Life Scouts he's seen stall in their progress when they're just a few months away from earning their Eagle Scout rank. I'll bet he'll have stories to tell about several promising boys who never made it.
I've seen it in my own children; homework almost complete, toys almost all put away, and projects almost completed. I can see it in my own projects. We knitters call them WIPs, Works in Progress. I periodically get reminded about a certain sweater vest that's just about achieved perpetual WIP status. It's not my oldest almost-itis project.
I need to reclaim my resolve and self-discipline. When I persevere past the almost-itis stage there's such a sense of accomplishment. It's energizing and empowering.
Way back in 1985 when I was living in Germany, I started a sweater for my husband. Foolish novice that I was, I didn’t have a clue that I was in over my head. The pattern was written for a knitting machine and I needed to hand knit it. I'd never knitted anything remotely as large or as complex. I was a bit too slow and we moved back to the States before I was done. I was heartbroken when I realized I didn’t have enough yarn to finish the last sleeve, but I was too far along to give up. I’d get the carcass pieces out a couple of times a year, wonder what to do, and shove them back into the bag.
In the late winter of 2006 a dear friend encouraged me and helped me find yarn to finish the sweater. It was a classic first sweater in that it didn’t really fit the intended wearer even though he kindly wore it once in public anyway. I learned so much on that project, both about knitting and about myself.
I'm dealing with almost-itis in my weight loss goal. I've stalled at 19 pounds lost with just 1 pound to go. The stall is my own fault. I've done the exercise I should but I've also celebrated a little too early. Eating that extra slice of bread with butter, eating the offered cookie or two, or an extra bite of pie has put the "almost there" stall on my goal.
I need to reclaim my resolve and self-discipline. When I persevere past the almost-itis stage there's such a sense of accomplishment. It's energizing and empowering.

No comments:
Post a Comment