Sunday, December 2, 2012

Looking for a New Attitude

Do you ever have a week that just seems to suck the will out of you?  I've had one of those.  Little challenges just piled on top of each other until my resolve slowed to a crawl. I was able to get through the necessary activities and chores.  All the optional items on my to-do list went by the wayside. I'm feeling some renewed energy today.  It's amazing what a little service project can do for your attitude.

I took the opportunity to help support the 11th Annual St. Jude Marathon this weekend.  The race-day morning was beautiful.  The aid station volunteers were enthusiastic. The neighborhood residents were supportive. The runners were inspiring. One participant passed my mile 22 aid station pushing his own wheel chair with vigor. I spotted 3 runners pushing wheelchairs with riders. One visually impaired runner passed by tethered to his guide.  I'm amazed at the love and commitment it takes to help someone reach their goal by partnering with them to such a degree.  Sometimes one needs to step outside onself to find a little deeper strength.

I'm ready to kick myself back in gear. Perhaps it's partly my rebellious nature finally exerting itself again.

Try an experiment for me.  Sit in a chair with your feet flat on the floor.  Try to lift your right foot.  Now, try it with your left.  What happens?  When I try this with my right foot, my foot lifts off the floor easily.  My left foot barely moves.  It's one of the gifts given me courtesy of osteoarthritis.  I'm calling it a gift because it's giving me an opportunity to learn more about the disease process of osteoarthritis. 

There are so many articles to read and so many of them are just rehashing the same basic information.  Where's the good stuff?  I need to find something between the simple introductory information and medical school-level information.  Surely I'm not the only patient who wants to take control of their health care in a meaningful way. More research is required.  Bring it on! I'm not ready to give up yet.

From Ulysses by Lord Alfred Tennyson
 

"...Tho' much is taken, much abides; and tho'

  We are not now that strength which in old days

  Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;

  One equal temper of heroic hearts,

  Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will

  To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."

 

No comments:

Post a Comment