Sunday, December 30, 2012

Moles, Voles, Yellow Jackets, and Daffodills


Several years ago I read "The Daffodil Principle" by Margi Harrell and was inspired to create my own Daffodil Hill.

There's a 15-foot long slope at the front of my yard topped by a couple of big oak trees.  This slope was the home of a colony of moles and voles.  They kept the soil plowed and soft.  This wouldn't have been so bad except that Yellow Jackets loved the readymade home the mole runs made. Let me share information on this cast of lawn characters.  

First, moles: small, carnivorous, burrowing animals with a great sense of smell but poor eyesight.  They burrow through the soil in search of grubs and earthworms. They could hardly care less about any plants disturbed in the process.

Voles: a small rodent, similar to a mouse.  It has a short tail and a voracious appetite for the roots of hostas, gladiolas, day lilies and just about anything else you'd like to produce nice summer flowers. They also have a talent for burrowing under ripening strawberries so they can have a catered feast without leaving the comfort of their burrow.  They appreciate the muscle provided by the bulkier moles in tunneling.  It makes their life much easier having all that work already done for them.

Yellow Jackets: a predatory wasp with a strong territorial instinct. They are a cheerful yellow and black or dark brown striped. Abandoned mole and vole tunnels make a super habitat for their broods.

Why are the tunnels abandoned? Just ask my son. He was mowing the yard one day and passed over the yellow jackets' tunnel one time to many. Remember I mentioned they are territorial? He cleared the seat of the mower in a single leap, stumbled, rolled, and then ran for the house. I wasn't sure I wanted whatever was obviously following him inside but I couldn't justify locking him and it/them out. He'd been stung several times despite his haste. Would you have any desire to share quarters with such a cranky neighbor?  If you see cheerful little wasps flying close to a small hole in the ground, turn and walk very quietly in the opposite direction.

I needed a way to get rid of the annual yellow jacket nests in my front yard. I could hunt down individual nests and poison them with some risk of becoming a target for their territorial ire.  I did that once or twice.  Yeah, not a favorite choice. I could stop the moles by killing individuals with traps and poisons.  There are lots of methods for that and I've not seen many short of hiring a Siberian Husky to dig them out that's particularly effective.  You can spread poison on the lawn to kill the moles' food supply.  Effective, but it kills everything and leaves you with a dearth of beneficial invertebrates.

This is where the daffodils come in.  These little bursts of late winter sunshine are poisonous.  The roots, bulbs, stems and blossoms are all toxic to man and beast including voles and moles.  Moles don't like to tunnel through areas with lots of daffodils because of this.  Voles won't dig new tunnels or chew through a cluster of daffodil bulbs.  No tunnels, no yellow jackets.  See?  Perfectly logical.

Each November I stand out on my hill with a shovel and a couple of bags of daffodil bulbs, a-la the Daffodil Principle. I pick a section of my hill and toss the bulbs out to create some semblance of natural, random placement.  Where ever the bulb lands is where I plant it. I've been planting between 100 and 200 bulbs each year for about 7 years.

I could have planted them all at once but it would have been daunting and expensive.  By tackling this project over time, I've been able to spread out the work and expense.  I've been able to take advantage of shared, pass-along bulbs a couple of times to add to my project.

That's part of the lesson of the Daffodil Principle.  Tackle the seemingly, impossibly large projects and goals one little bit at a time. You'll be better prepared to take advantage of surprise opportunities to advance.  You'll be amazed at what you can accomplish... one bulb at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment