First, I must offer apologies for completely forgetting to post a blog entry yesterday. I had every intention of doing that but I was struggling with a decision and simply forgot to write.
I'm not typically a fan of country music but I'll make an exception for the balladeers. One of my favorites is Kenny Rogers. I love his not-too-perfect way of singing. It adds an element of sincerity to the songs. One of my favorite Kenny Rogers songs is The Gambler.
I don't know that I've attempted to play poker more than once or twice but I understand the concept. I feel like I've been playing poker with my computer and some of the software for months. I'm trying to clear off and older machine to pass on to one of my sons. I've been stuck half way between the the two machines for several months while I worked to get one particular program going. I thought I had it fixed a couple of times. I even took the drastic measure of starting over. That meant I moved all the data and licenses I'd transfered to the new machine back to the old one. I wiped it back to the factory settings and started over. That didn't fix the problem but it did help me pinpoint a software conflict. I know there are some poker analogies to be drawn there. I can imagine working with a hand of cards or giving them up and starting with a fresh set. Yep, that's the software game I've been playing.
Well, I've decided to listen to the advice of the old gambler from the Kenny Rogers song. "You've got to know when to hold 'em. Know when to fold 'em. Know when to walk away. Know when to run." I don't think I'm running but I am going to fold on this project and walk away. I'm done all I can do. I've found an older computer that this one bit of critical software will work on. It works beautifully there. That's where I'm going to leave it until I find someone who can tell me what more to do. I'm not going to waste any more time trying to get the software tech support to respond. They've not responded in two months anyway.
I'm done. I'm moving on with more important projects.
Kenny, sing to me!
The Gambler by sung by Kenny Rogers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj4nJ1YEAp4
The Highwayman by Jimmy Webb, sung by Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Chris Christopherson and Johnny Cash
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw1bHaUk1CM
The Highwayman by Alfred Noyes, sung by Loreena McKennitt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teq2m0BN-Wo
No comments:
Post a Comment