Sunday, March 24, 2013

Memories from My Parents' Garden


I was prompted to take some time to recall my parents' garden this week.  I've got all these little snapshot memories and haven't put them down in writing before.  May I suggest you give it a try.  I started with a drawing of my parents' garden. It ended up being more of a map of memories than a map of the garden.
 
My memories of my parent's garden start early with chickens, big, huge, monster chickens.  I remember being a wee small girl and climbing to stand on a broken cinder block while holding a stick so I would be bigger and badder than the big white birds.  One of my next memories of the garden is of my father carrying my across the yard on his shoulders.  We were going to check on the plums for a snack.  We didn't know it but that day there was someone else checking the tree for snacks as well.  I came almost face to face with a big black snake draped across a limb.  I think I screamed.  I never could walk under that tree after that without checking it thoroughly for snakes.

Parts of the four acre plot changed over the years but a few features stayed constant.  There was a small pole barn, or big shed, out back.  It had 4 four rooms and an open bay. It had the old smokehouse on one corner.  I never saw that used for anything other than storage space.  There was the old brooder house on another corner.  That was where we kept potatoes spread in a layer on an old door elevated with cinder blocks.  The old hen house section was a no-visit zone for me.  It was crowded with old pieces of equipment and, I was sure, multitudes of big black snakes.  The open bay in the middle had the lawn mower, a tiller and Dad's gardening supplies. There was a big gourd hanging from the ceiling with a hole for a bird's nest. One little open storage room on the front was my playhouse.  The walls were lined with hoes, rakes, shovels, a draw blade and several other long handled tools for yard work.  There was also a wagon loaded with sand, a tiny chair and kitchen table, a doll bed an old mirrored medicine cabinet and a shelf for my own outdoor home necessities.  I made many a sand cake and sand muffins for my imaginary family there.  That's where I kept my walking sticks.  I had one made from a crooked tree just like my great-grandmothers.  I also kept a taller one or two.  My favorite was a length of bamboo from a neighbor's roll of carpet.  I took the stick with me everywhere I went.  I imagined it helped to scare the snakes out of my path.  Are you seeing a common theme there? I was NOT fond of snakes.

The vegetable garden was HUGE at least it was in my eyes.  Many long rows meant many hours of work hoeing, picking, washing, and canning or freezing fresh vegetables.  One of my favorite things was to check to see if the Four O’clocks were blooming on time. Then I'd go over to the tomatoes and find a nice, warm, ripe one.  I could sneak a tomato before supper. If I was careful with the juice, I wouldn't get caught.

My bedroom had two windows, one faced east, the other north.  We had a security light near the shed that lit the yard with an odd purplish glow at night.  I used to slip out of bed and check both windows late at night.  If I was lucky, I'd see rabbits.  Sometimes only one, sometimes several.  The best times were when I'd find a family of rabbits playing tag.  It would have been so much fun if I could have joined them.  I understood the rules perfectly.  Alas, we two-legs are no fun for little rabbits.

One year my mom decided to grow pretty little decorative pepper plants in place of flowers in a container.  I was fascinated by the compact little bushes with multi-hued peppers pointing skyward.  They looked like colorful candles of green, yellow, red and purple.  My parents liked to eat them but I had no love for the zing of hot pepper.  In the fall Mom wanted to collect seed to replant the peppers next year. My sister and I were given the job of seeding out some dry pods.  The pods were tough and I couldn't tear them open.  Being a resourceful child, I did as I'd done with many a chip bag or candy wrapper and grabbed the end of the pepper in my teeth to tear it open.  Yep, you guessed it. I got a full dose of the heat from that little packet of spicy joy.  Eight glasses of water later, I learned that water does not cool the heat of peppers.  It's been a lifelong lesson that's served to keep me away from them.

It's funny how I still take a stick with me when I go walking.  I don't mind the snakes quite so much now but I'd be happy if they go about minding their business a little distance from where I'm minding my business. I still avoid those little red peppers.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment