Monday, March 4, 2013

Continuing Education

I'm running a little late with my blog this week. I've been more preoccupied than usual due to a presentation I needed to prepare to give today.

It's been a long time since I've done anything like this. It was only a 4-5 minute speech with an accompanying slide show. It shouldn't have been too difficult. I found myself agonizing over it. I wanted it to be just right. I really wanted to have it memorized so my presentation would sound natural.

That didn't happen, at least not as well as I'd have liked. I didn't trust myself to remember the material and I didn't feel I could afford to stumble over my words. I ended up reading a lot of it. I read it well because I'd practiced it aloud many, many times.

Thankfully, the project I was presenting has merit and was well received in spite of my nerves. I'm excited that, maybe, I've managed to play a small part in helping this project go forward.

Perhaps it would be wise of me to find reasons to practice skills I needed today more. I need to flex my gray cells through memorization exercises. I should probably more readily accept opportunities to get up in front of people, especially adults. That's not my nature.

It's so easy to allow oneself to get comfortable doing the same kinds of things over and over. That's fine in some ways. It's destructive in others. If we're not learning and stretching ourselves aren't we actually loosing ground? An infant begins life learning. A child continues that process. Why, as adults, do we become satisfied with less?

Come on! Let's get out there and learn something new, try something new, and live a new experience. It's time to grow a little.



Let us continue, brethren and sisters, to work in the name of the Lord our God; gathering wisdom and intelligence day by day, that every circumstance which transpires may minister to our good and increase our faith and intelligence. Lorenzo Snow

No comments:

Post a Comment