I happen to like this day and it's traditions of pranks. I prefer the harmless pranks. I think it's a genetic tendency. My father's family has a bit of a history of practical jokes. I have fond memories of lots of laughter at their gatherings when I was little.
My dad tells a story about one of his uncles. Uncle Cornelous was a prankster. I remember visiting with him and his wife, Effie. You had to keep your eye on Cornelous, both eyes if you could. He loved a good joke. One morning, back when my dad's family still plowed fields by walking behind mules, Cornelous ran over a snake. He hid it for later. When all the men went in for lunch, Cornelous hung back. He got a piece of bailing wire and tied the dead snake so it trailed behind the mules and plow. He covered it with a little dirt. One of his nephews took the plow after lunch. I hear he did some fancy high stepping when that snake came out of the dirt right under his feet.
My uncle Hayes was another one you had to watch. He could tell the tallest tales with the straightest face I've seen. You had to watch for the tale-tell crinkle at the corner of his eye and the tiniest sign of a grin at the corner of his lip. I was never quite sure whether to believe him or not. It was all in good fun. I loved it when I got to hang out with him.
In the honorable tradition of my fore-bearers, I have participated in pranks today. I've been on the receiving end of a prank or two as well. It's been a good day.
Happy April Fools Day! May your new year be filled with good humor and laughter.
No comments:
Post a Comment